This week, I’m writing from a place of ignorance. Edvinas Pundys, Elsewhere by Lonely Planet’s local expert for the Baltic countries of Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia, pointed out there are 200 countries in the world – and though it's painful to admit, I can’t be expected to know about all of them.
However, after a couple of hours on the phone with Edvinas, I’m quietly searching flights and wondering if I should fly into Riga or Helsinki. (Helsinki is only two hours by boat from Estonia, and it's a beautiful boat ride. I learned that from Edvinas.)
Christianity reached these places later than other European nations. They were oppressed for centuries by feudalism, and later by Soviet rule before forming an unlikely alliance and using song and dance festivals to fuel their peaceful revolution. I can’t help imagining what it must feel like to travel among people who achieved freedom through celebration.
The Baltics have incredibly old and complicated histories, yet they are less visited than other nations: an appealing combination for travelers. There is a rawness and authenticity that comes from a place that has yet to be spit-shined for the masses.
Gorgeous medieval castles dot bucolic countrysides, spas and saunas promise the best clean you’ll ever feel and quaint wooden villages abut prominent, forward-thinking art nouveau cities. It is Europe at its romantic best. Let Edvinas show you how to visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment