I’m not sure there’s any city in Italy that feels more alive than Naples.
The first time I visited, all of the following happened within the first 24 hours:
✔️ I listened to a fishmonger sing a song on a street corner.
✔️ Had a transcendent experience gazing at tiny solid-gold ornaments that once decorated the gown of a woman in ancient Pompeii.
✔️ Was given an impromptu tour of an 18th-century baroque church by its custodian, simply because I was standing on a sidewalk and looking confused while holding a map.
✔️ Was told by a complete stranger, “You are my future widow.”
I also ate pizza. Pizza-eating is a must-do in Naples, as any guidebook – including ours – will tell you. But the charm and beauty of this city is in its in-between moments, in its bustling market and honking mopeds, its dust-covered streets and bottomless blue waters.
Maybe it derives its sense of sheer passion from Mt Vesuvius, a looming reminder of past (and possibly even future?) danger. When you visit, gaze up at its gently steaming summit, raise a glass of guarnaccia – or maybe just espresso – in deference to its somnolent power, and drink deep of this wonderful city. Here’s more about Naples from our Italy writer Virginia DeGaetano.
No comments:
Post a Comment